20th Century

Norwalk was incorporated in 1900 with Adam Stiffler serving as its first mayor. At the time, the town was one square mile in size. Phone service was introduced in Norwalk in 1903. Many additions and land acquisition have contributed to Norwalk’s growth. The first was the triangle formed by Highway 28, High Road and Cherry Parkway on November 11, 1969. The second was the development of a residential area in what is now the middle of town containing the Norwalk United Methodist Church and the Regency Nursing Home. Several farm annexations were made in the 70s and 80s that greatly expanded the city’s footprint. Further annexations continue to this day as the city seeks to maximize its economic growth potential. Norwalk is regionally notable as having three golf courses, two of which sit amidst residential developments, Echo Valley and the Legacy.

Parks & Rec

The City of Norwalk has a variety of parks for residents and visitors. The parks offer a variety of activities such as fishing, basketball, baseball, softball, soccer, disc golf, skateboarding, playground equipment and Iowa’s first challenge course.

The City maintains several miles of linear recreational trails. Trails are both on and off street. The most recent addition to the trail system goes through Warrior Park to the Orchard Hills Elementary School.